Donations will help cover expenses and are much appreciated!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break and the launch date are rapidly approaching...

Well Friends,

Spring Break is rapidly approaching, and my expected launch date is coming with it. I still need to assemble one important piece: the parachute. It is going to be simple and small, but enough to slow our near-spacecraft down in the atmosphere and help prevent any damage to the delicate electronics inside. I have also added a "prop" of sorts in front of the main camera, in the hopes of attracting some attention from one of my favorite beverage producers. Red Bull is one heck of an energy drink, and now that I'm in my 30's it helps to combat fatigue after a long day at the office vs. giving me energy. I'll post more about this later, but as some of you may know Red Bull is sponsoring an attempt at the highest freefall in history. Joe Kittinger still holds this record from the 1950's as part of Project Excelsior (a high-altitude balloon program that was a precursor to the U.S. space program), and my plan is to send a can of Red Bull into near-space. Who knows? Maybe the company will express interest in the footage and I'll get my corporate sponsorship rolling (and some Red Bull as partial compensation wouldn't hurt either!).

No comments:

Post a Comment